Sunday, June 21, 2009

Good News

If you haven't heard from other sources yet... Last Tuesday I had my three month visit with the CT Scanner. I called the doctors office late that afternoon and Ann read me the report. The radiologist said there was no visible cancer anywhere from my chest through my abdomen. Some pretty good news for just six months in to this thing. I won't meet with Dr. Dickson until the 30th of June to get his version of the report but we are excited.

The original plan when we saw, at the three month mark, that the cancer was shrinking so quickly was that we would continue some level of chemo for at least another six months. Dr. Dickson told us a couple of weeks ago that we would likely continue with one of the three medications he has been giving me and add an oral med that provides a maintenance level of chemo. He originally talked like I may be taking the oral one the rest of my life. He wasn't of the belief that you ever got rid of lung cancer.

Since I last posted at the end of April we have had a pretty tough time with the chemo. I would feel the effects of the chemo immediately and they would last until the next Monday. It's a really good diet plan... you just don't feel like eating...at all!!!

Two weeks ago when we went for chemo we were leaving the next day to spend the weekend in San Francisco with Trent, Megan & Charlie. We were going to plead with them to not give me all the chemo because half the reason for going to San Fran is to eat. I need to have an appetite!! Turns out that my white count was 0.7. They won't give you chemo if your level is less than 1. They gave me the Avastin but skipped the other two. They also told me that the Avastin wasn't the one that effects appetite.

We loved the visit to San Fran. It was our first. We visited Muir Forest, the wharf, Alcatraz, the palace of honor??, and several other sites. The cable car museum was fascinating. We also enjoyed the food!!

The seven pounds I lost over the month of chemo is quickly returning. I feel really good but still tire easily. I hope that corrects soon. We have had a really nice fathers day. Because we will be gone to Nashville this week Jason & Arwen chose to have Evangeline's b-day party today. We had Arwen's family here; it was really nice. The kids got me a video cam for the computer for Father's day. Now we can visit with pictures, live! We were on with Meg, Trent and the girls and Sara, Daniel and their kids for a while. It was fun. We will really enjoy this gift.

I hope to post a bit more frequently than a month and a half. I really do appreciate all your prayers and support. Neil Hillmanm, counselor in our stake presidency asked Denise how it felt to be a part of a miracle. I could ask all of you the same. It is very humbling to be the recipient of the Lord's grace. Whether it was all faith and prayers or the combination of medication, supplements and faith, nevertheless it is a miracle... Thank-you all

No comments: