Sunday, December 13, 2009

Medication Update

Thought you all would be interested in the the one new medication I'm taking. Fragmin is a low molecular weight heparin, for the blood clots. There is no medication for daily use that dissolves clots. All of the medications currently approved are supposed to stop clot production only. Anyway the Blackfoot Medical Clinic offered to get the medication at cost for me. They would get partial reimbursement from the insurance if I came to the clinic everyday to get my shot. I went to talk to the city and they agreed to help also. An improvement in an otherwise bleak landscape.

I think the insurance should continue to allow these meds to be covered by major medical. They are so exorbitantly expensive that trying to run them through the pharmacy benefit just trashes the statistics. The logic probably follows that is will eventually trash the major medical too.

No comments: