Tuesday, February 3, 2009

February Is Coming On Fast

In case you hadn't noticed it's already the 3rd and next week will be Valentine's day. I realized yesterday as I was planning calendar events that the month was going to be half gone before we could even realize it began!

I had a very good week. I noticed a significant increase in my energy level over this week. Perhaps because I have not had any body destroying chemicals in two weeks. I have been able to spend full days at work with little difficulty. The visit to Rexburg this last Tuesday brought no big changes. My granulocyte level was 1.9. That is down from a 5.5 when we started. Granulocytes appear to be a composite average of infection fighting mechanisms in the body. After looking it up in the medical dictionary that's the best I can come up with. If this level gets lower than 1-1.5 there is a large risk of infection. Chemo treatments are stopped or changed to give the body time to regenerate its infection fighting reserves. At 1.9 they felt like I was in good shape. I am still able to manage any infections and avoid the $5,000 shot to boost the immune system. After the chemo respite it will be interesting to see where I am today. I got a haircut last night. I was sort of looking forward to loosing my hair (that's bizarre huh!). It hasn't gone so it was time to get looking presentable.

I have not been able to push myself to get downstairs to the bathroom yet. It's like the gorilla in the room that you see all the time but try to ignore. Since working days I can't get myself back down there. I am going to have to re-learn that ability. I suppose it helps to actually be here in the evening to see the gorilla though. It is amazing what crops up everyday that gets in the road of time at home. We got a nice letter from Dusty Harral yesterday. He is serving his mission in Georgia. He had some neat scriptures on faith and hope to share with us. He seems to be enjoying the cultural experience; every other word was "y'all".

A little sad news from the area: Steve Larsen from the Moreland area was diagnosed last weekend with advanced leukemia to go along with other medical problems. His doctors determined his condition to be to advanced for therapy. He passed away Friday night at home. Six days from diagnosis to graduation!! A major loss to his family and the scouting program. Every community has these guys and gals that give there all for the wonderful world of scouting. He was one of ours. He will be sorely missed and a great asset to the Spirit world. He was just over sixty, his youngest daughter had just graduated from high school. Katie Hansen resumed her renewed chemo treatments. She looks a little beat up. I would trade her places if possible. She needs to stay here for quite a while longer. We are always hopeful that the Lord will respond to our pleas to allow friends and family to complete their missions here in mortality, as we see them. We pray for faith as, on occasion, we see his will manifest in a direction not of our choosing. The path along the iron rod is laced with land minds!! And this too shall give thee experience and be for thy good... (D & C 122)

No comments: