Monday, January 5, 2009

First Treatment Day

As we were driving out of the driveway this morning Denise and I both thought "here we go on another saga". Apprehensive, as you can imagine to begin a knew part of life that three weeks ago we would have never guessed we would be participating in. We arrived without difficulty. It had started to snow in Rexburg and continued all day. The Temperature was so low that it was all just powder. The freeway was clear going and coming.

After arriving, It took a little while to get us into the back despite being the second patient through the door. The nurse starting my IV had trouble getting through the leather like skin of my left forearm. The third stick, in the right hand went right. Maybe it was that I told her I would start one for her myself. Mom offered too; no pressure at all, and it gets worse with each miss.

They were adamant that the steroid I was to take before the chemo be taken exactly six and twelve hours before our arrival. Then I was to be given another dose immediately after arriving. It always amazes me that there is large window of opportunity for them and a very small one for the patient. Anyway we got started about 9:30. The infusions went a little slow today to check for allergic reactions to the meds. They started with the Dexamethasone, then a 36 hour antiemetic, the 25mg of Benadryl followed by the first chemo drug Avastin, then Taxol and Carboplantin. They said if one has a reaction to the Carboplantin it is usually after taking it for an extended period.

About 1:00 Denise got a call from Becky. She was in Rexburg and wondered if we needed something to eat. We were really surprised. She was bringing Rachel back to school at BYU-I. We had a great visit with them. It certainly helped to pass the time. About 3:00 we were out the door. A pleasant beginning to a less than desirable situation. The nurse (Brenda) told us to expect a really tired day tomorrow and any nausea on Wednesday.

Tomorrow is the next step. I report to the hospital at 6:30a.m for Dr. Johanson to place a "PortaCath". This is a semi permanent IV site just under the skin next to the sternum that can be accessed easily over and over without the damage to the peripheral veins.

No comments: