First, the preface:
As of late, Caryse has become quite enamored with scripture reading. When she passed off her first reading book at school ("Pat sat and sat"), she insisted that we purchase her a scripture set all her own. So we got her a cheap triple combination and some little marking stickers to go along with it. I was sure it would be a phase, as a new set of sciptures tends to be with most of us. But tonight we read 2 Nephi 32:8-9 and inserted sticker number 42. We read a scripture story and insert a new sticker every night. She's very diligent about it.
And now the dumb thing we mothers sometimes say…
It was a long day at our house. I was worn down, as the troops had been even more unruly and busier than usual (if you can believe it). I was desperately trying to convince Caryse to clean up the barbie jungle in the living room before bedtime, because I knew I didn't have the stamina to do it. (And we all remember the time that Trent stepped on a miniature barbie in the dark of night and suffered a puncture wound from her small but cruel plastic hand). As she continued to distract herself and ignore me, I lost my patience and resorted to threats. And that's when I said it…
"If you don't pick up every one of these Barbie dolls in the next five minutes, you won't get to read a WORD of scripture tonight!"
Now that'a a rock and a hard spot. Talk about a threat you don't intend to keep. So, of course, I had to offer her some really easy form of reconciliation, and then help her do it. I couldn't go back on my threat (because that's like turning your back on hungry lion), and yet I couldn't be that mom that took away the scriptures as a punishment.
1 comment:
Hi Megs, this might be the best way for any of us to talk to you!! :P yes, it is nearly impossible talking to you on the phone.
That's cool that Caryse is really in to Scripture reading, it's amazing how it's really the little ones that are setting examples for us "adults"
Post a Comment