Not sure to what I am supposed to write... Running a walk behind trencher when there is 3"-4" cobble rock embedded in the dirt is a real treat. The trencher has a chain that has teeth on it that stick up about 2" and are 3" long. In dirt it digs a neat trench that is about 3" wide and up to 24" deep. If you hit a smooth rock the teeth just slide across it and you don't progress. If you hit rocks that are small enough that the tooth on the chain can grab it but not pull it up the trencher starts bucking. We dug about 300' of trench Saturday. There was maybe 10' that wasn't like managing a bucking horse that you had to stay with. The good thing is that it's done and once it's covered up Josh will never? have to deal with it again. Another positive note, this is perfect ground for a subdivision. No farmer could ever hope to make this ground productive.
A sad note for the day. Fred died this morning. Most of you know that he has been going downhill the last few weeks. Other that some arthritis in his hips we could not find a definite reason despite the $500 plus vet bill. When I got home from work this morning he had managed to get himself into the garage. He barely wagged his tail but just laid there. He was really weak, soaking wet; it had been raining all night. Thinking he was likely way to cold I picked him up and brought him in the house. I dried him off, put the warm heat pad under him and covered him up. After about an hour he threw up some brownish liquid and had very labored breathing. I checked him about a half hour later and he was dead. He's been a good friend to us, I am sad to see him gone.
2 comments:
I am sad to hear that Fred will no longer be with us. Those dogs sure become part of a family dont they. I will miss him.
By the way dad. If it makes you feel any better, We are going to end up running 1300 feet of piple. So I bet we ended up trenching more around 600-800 feet. We really appreciate it...
*SOBS* that's too bad! Makes me wanna cry! I'll have to get Dad another friend to take Fred's place.
Post a Comment